Examination of nomination of natural, mixed and cultural proprerties to the World Heritage List - Hiraizumi - Cultural Landscape Associated with Pure Land Buddhist Cosmology (JAPAN)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Documents WHC-08/32.COM/8B and WHC-08/32.COM/INF.8B1,
2. Defers the examination of the nomination of Hiraizumi - Cultural Landscape Associated with Pure Land Buddhist Cosmology, Japan, to the World Heritage List in order to allow the State Party to:
- a) provide further comparative analysis, particularly for the gardens, including comparators in China and Korea;
- b) consider revising the boundary of the nominated property to include the elements of the landscape value;
3. Recommends that any further nomination would need to be accompanied by a fully functioning management plan and an adequate suite of indicators, including those to monitor visual connections and knowledge of associations with the property;
4. Considers that any revised nomination with revised boundaries, would need to be considered by a mission to the site.
5. Recommends that the World Heritage Centre assist by all means possible the State Party in the revision of the nominated property.
Original Decision Document
Context of Decision