Decision : 27 COM 8C.25
Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi (Kazakhstan)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Noting that this property is the first to be inscribed on the World Heritage List from Kazakhstan,,
2. Inscribes The Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi, Kazakhstan, on the World Heritage List on the basis of cultural criteria (i), (iii) and (iv):
Criterion (i): The Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi is an outstanding achievement in the Timurid architecture, and it has significantly contributed to the development of Islamic religious architecture.
Criterion (iii): The mausoleum and its property represent an exceptional testimony to the culture of the Central Asian region, and to the development of building technology.
Criterion (iv): The Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi was a prototype for the development of a major building type in the Timurid period, becoming a significant reference in the history of Timurid architecture.
3. Recommends that the State Party give special attention to the control of the built environment outside the buffer zone in order to avoid any high-rise constructions;
4. Encourages the State Party to increase the resources for conservation management, and to establish a training strategy for those involved in the conservation of the property;
5. Requests that the State Party submit to the World Heritage Centre when complete the Five-Year Management Plan prepared by the State Institute for Scientific Research and Planning on Monuments of Material Culture.