The World Heritage Committee,
1. Decides not to inscribe Serra da Capivara National Park, Brazil, on the World Heritage List on the basis of natural criteria;
2. Encourages the State Party to consider including relevant protected areas in a serial nomination that can better ensure biodiversity conservation of the Caatinga biome;
3. Commends the State Party, through the commitment and work of the Brazilian Institute of the Environment and Renewable Natural Resources (IBAMA) and the Museum for American Man Foundation (FUMDHAM), for transforming Serra da Capivara National Park over a decade from a "paper park" into one of the best managed protected areas in Latin America;
4. Urges the State Party to promote the use of the best practice experience that has contributed to the effective management of Serra da Capivara National Park to enhance the planning and management of the recently created Serra das Confusoes National Park;
5. Notes that the original inscription of Serra da Capivara National Park on the World Heritage List under cultural criterion (iii) is not affected by this decision.