Resolution : CONF 014 1-6
Opening of the General Assembly by the Director-General or his representative, election of the Chairperson, Vice-Chairpersons and Rapporteur of the General Assembly and adoption of the Rules of Procedure
- The first General Assembly of States Parties to the Convention concerning the protection of the world cultural and natural heritage (1972) met in Nairobi on 26 November 1976.
- Of the twenty-six States Parties to the Convention at the date of 26 November 1976 and thus having the right to vote, the following States were represented:
Federal Republic of Germany
Syrian Arab Republic
United States of America
3. Representatives of the following States also participated, as observers, in the General Assembly : Austria, Cameroun, Cuba, Czechoslovakia, German Democratic Republic, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Kenya, Republic of Korea, Mali, Portugal, Republic of Surinam, United Kingdom as well as representatives of the following international organizations : United Nations Environmental Programme ( UNEP ), International Federation of Landscape Architects (IFLA), International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN), International Council of Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS).
4. The list of all the participants in the General Assembly is given in Annex 2.
5. The Secretariat of the meeting was assured by the Secretariat of Unesco.
6. After the meeting had been opened by Mr. John E. Fobes, Deputy Director General of Unesco, the General Assembly adopted its Rules of Procedure, with the amendments to Article 12, paragraphs 3 and 6, proposed by the representative of the Director General of Unesco. The Assembly thereafter elected by acclamation His Excellency Ambassador Hamid Rahnema (Iran) as its Chairman, the representatives of Algeria Bulgaria, Ecuador, Senegal and the United States, as Vice-Chairmen, and Mr. Michel Parent (France) as Rapporteur.