Decision : 27 COM 7B.50
Town of Luang Prabang (Lao People's Democratic Republic)
The World Heritage Committee ,
1. Recalling Decision 26 COM 21 (b) 54 expressing concern over the growing incidents of violation of the conservation plan of Luang Prabang (PSMV), including public works being carried out by the Urban Development Administrative Authority (UDAA) under the Asian Development Bank for Secondary Cities, undermining the World Heritage value of the Town of Luang Prabang,;
2. Reiterating the fragility of these values based on the relationship between the natural and built environment, the traditional urban morphology and the fusion of traditional Lao and French architecture,;
3. Noting with appreciation the positive results in the implementation of the 6-point corrective measures to safeguard the property and the contribution to this effort by the French Development Agency, European Commission and the Région Centre through the Chinon-Luang Prabang-UNESCO co-operation programme,
4. Expressing concern over continued incidents of illegal construction and violation of the conservation plan (PSMV) and increasing vehicular traffic in the core protected area,;
5. Requests the State Party to:
(a) submit a report to the World Heritage Centre by 1 February 2004 on further progress in the implementation of the corrective measures in order that the World Heritage Committee can examine the state of conservation of the property at its 28th session in 2004,
(b) make all efforts to raise public awareness and respect for the conservation plan (PSMV),
(c) take the necessary measures to reduce vehicular traffic and noise pollution impacting on the core area of the World Heritage property.
 Decision adopted without discussion.
2003 Town of Luang Prabang