The World Heritage Committee,
1. Notes that the road construction from Nouakchott to Nouadhibou has begun;
2. Urges the State Party to organize a meeting to define the real impact of this road on the Park and to ensure that the Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) study complies with internationally recognized standards, in collaboration with interested donors;
3. Notes that oil exploration in the vicinity of the Park is being carried out, with indications that large reserves in the area may be exploited in the near future, causing a potentially serious threat to the marine life of the Park;
4. Requests that the State Party provide a copy of the German Technical Co-operation (GTZ) study and the oil/gas exploration EIA to IUCN and to the World Heritage Centre by 1 February 2004 in order that the World Heritage Committee can examine the state of conservation of the property at its 28th session in 2004;
5. Encourages the State Party to submit an international assistance request to train the governmental specialists on the analysis of EIA documents regarding oil/gas explorations.