Sangay National Park (Ecuador)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Expresses satisfaction with the progress made by the IUCN/UNESCO/United Nations Foundation (UNF) Project "Enhancing Our Heritage" (EOH);
2. Commends the State Party for its co-operation on this project and urges the State Party to continue this collaboration in order to improve protection of the property;
3. Recommends that the State Party work closely with the coordinator of the project "Enhancing Our Heritage" and Fundacion Natura in order to seek appropriate funding for the revision of the management plan as a priority, and for the participatory development of a community liaison and a capacity- building programme;
4. Expresses concern that the Guamote-Macas road continues to threaten the integrity of the property and urges the State Party to consider all possible mitigation measures to reduce the impacts of the road on the property;
5. Recommends that the State Party in co-operation with the coordinators of the EOH and the Fundacion Natura projects, provide a detailed update to the World Heritage Centre by 1 February 2004 on the state of conservation of Sangay, including benchmarks and indicators that may be useful in deciding the timing of the removal of the property from the List of World Heritage in Danger, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 28th session in 2004;
6. Decides to retain the Sangay National Park on the List of World Heritage in Danger.