35 COM 6
Progress report on the World Heritage related Category 2 centres
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-11/35.COM/6,
2. Recalling Decision 34 COM 9C adopted at its 34th session (Brasilia, 2010),
3. Thanks the Government of Bahrain for having hosted the first meeting of World Heritage related Category 2 centres and of relevant UNESCO Chairs and Higher Education and Research Institutions;
4. Takes note that the report on this meeting will be presented to the General Assembly of States Parties and the Committee;
5. Also takes note with satisfaction of the reports on the World Heritage related Category 2 centres in Bahrain, Brazil, China, Mexico, Norway and South Africa;
6. Recalls the key role that Category 2 centres can play in the implementation of the World Heritage strategy for capacity-building, in partnership with other existing training institutions, ICCROM and IUCN;
7. Encourages the consideration of proposals for the establishment of Category 2 research centres for World Heritage, particularly those that will promote a balanced World Heritage List in accordance with UNESCO's guidelines and criteria for Category 2 Institutes and centres;
8. Requests the World Heritage Centre to upload a consolidated web-page on the Category 2 centres' activities;
9. Further requests the World Heritage Centre to submit an updated report of activities of the World Heritage related Category 2 centres for examination at its 36th session in 2012.
10. Requests that the World Heritage Centre continues exploring funding possibilities in order to organize activities with the Category 2 centres;
11. Encourages the State Parties to the Convention to continue the funding support towards the sustainability of these Category 2 centres.