Natural Properties - Examination of minor boundary modifications - Islands and Protected Areas of the Gulf of California (Mexico)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Documents WHC-11/35.COM/8B.Add and WHC-11/35.COM/INF.8B2,
2. Recalling its Decision 29 COM 8B.9, which recommended the State Party consider further extensions to this serial property;
3. Approves the minor boundary modification of the Islands and Protected Areas of the Gulf of California, Mexico, to include the "Balandra Zone of Ecological Conservation and Community Interest" (1,197 ha) as a new component part of the existing serial property, in order to strengthen the integrity of the inscribed property, provide connectivity and support its effective protection and management;
4. Requests the State Party, in close collaboration with the relevant local communities to complete the management plan for this component of the property and to submit this to the World Heritage Centre before the 36th session of the World Heritage Committee in 2012, and to ensure continued attention to the measures to manage tourism development and fisheries within and associated with the new component;
5. Notes with appreciation the restoration of the mangroves within Balandra and encourages consideration of similar approaches to reestablish additional mangrove areas and new marine protected areas in the Sea of Cortez.