Ruins of the Buddhist Vihara at Paharpur (Bangladesh)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-05/29.COM/7B.Rev,
2. Recalling its Decision 28 COM 15B.53 adopted at its 28th session (Suzhou, 2004),
3. Commends the State Party of Bangladesh for the significant efforts made in addressing the conservation problems of the terracotta plaques,
4. Requests the State Party to pursue the efforts towards the strengthening of security at the property by the recruitment of five additional guards by the end of 2005 at the latest;
5. Urges the State Party to conduct an Environmental Impact Assessment of the telephone tower on the heritage and landscape values of the Buddhist Vihara at Paharpur, and consider the possibility of moving the tower further away from the property ;
6. Requests the State Party, possibly with the assistance of the World Heritage Centre and the Advisory Bodies, to redefine and document, through the appropriate cartographic documentation, the limits of the core and buffer zones of the property, on the basis of a stronger Statement of outstanding universal value ;7. Further requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2007, a report on the impact of the telephone tower on the visual integrity of the World Heritage property and the progress achieved in the implementation of the above recommendations, for examination by the Committee at its 31st Session (2007).