SOC: Rio Abiseo (Peru)
Rio Abiseo (Peru)
The UNDP/UNESCO Project reported that the most serious threats to this mixed site are large-scale deforestation in the western zone of the park and traditional burning of fields for grazing in the higher areas. A limited number of park guards control the park in the south from outside the area. There is no regular vigilance and inspection and valuable archaeological objects are deteriorating and disappearing.
The monitoring mission recommended the following:
- a coherent development plan for the Park, aiming at conserving both its natural and cultural resources, should be maintained;
- measures should be taken urgently to stabilize/reinforce the archaeological remains, which are deteriorating rapidly;
- it should be determined which security measures are needed to protect each of the archaeological sites;
- a project should be implemented to avoid deforestation together with the local communities;
- the remote nature of the site should have to be taken into account to establish practical step-by-step conservation activities.