CONF 204 XIV.2
Requests for International Assistance: Preparatory Assistance
XIV.2 Requests for International Assistance
The Bureau met during the twenty-fourth session of the Committee after the budget for Technical Assistance for year 2001 under Chapter III was approved, to take decisions or recommend decisions to the Committee concerning international assistance requests. The attention of the Committee and Bureau was drawn to document WHC-2000/CONF.204/17 and 6 requests for decision by the Committee and 14 requests for decision by the Bureau were examined and took the following decisions. All decisions taken by the Bureau and Committee concerning these requests are listed below:
(i) Preparatory Assistance
No: 2001-444 Philippines
"Regional expert meeting for the preparation of the World Heritage nomination file of the Batanes Archipelago and Ivatan Archaeological Landscape in the Philippines"
The Bureau approved the requested amount of US$ 30,000 to support the proposed activity, requesting the World Heritage Centre to co-ordinate the implementation of the activity in close collaboration with the State Party and the UNESCO Bangkok Office.
New request presented to the Bureau: Kyrgystan
"Preparation of the nomination dossier for the Cholpon-Ata Petroglyphs in the Issyk-Kul Basin as a mixed property."
The Bureau approved the requested amount of US$ 23,100 to support the proposed activity.
The Bureau noted with appreciation that this was the first international assistance request submitted by this relatively new State Party to the Convention with no property inscribed on the World Heritage List, and that this activity would eventually lead to a better representation of the World Heritage List in the Central Asian Region.
No: 2001-423 Mali
"Preparation of a nomination file for the Askia Tomb in Gao"
The Bureau approved this request for US$ 30,000 subject to the State Party paying its dues to the Fund, and requested the Centre to ask the national authorities to implement the activity within the framework of Africa 2009.
No: 2001-433 Niger
"Preparation of the cultural nomination for the Aïr and Ténéré site as a mixed site"
The Bureau approved this request for US$ 15,000 subject to the State Party paying its dues to the Fund, and requested the Centre to clarify with the national authorities the points raised by the Advisory Bodies before preparation of the contracts.
No. 2001-449 United Republic of Tanzania
Preparation of nomination for the Kondoa Irangi Rock Art Paintings
The Bureau approved US$ 30,000 for this activity, which should be implemented within the framework of Africa 2009, following the activities implemented in year 2000.
No. 2001-427 Peru
"Background Studies and Preparation of Nomination Dossier for the Historic Centre of Trujillo"
The Bureau approved US$ 15,000 for this activity, subject to the State Party paying its dues to the Fund.
No: 2001-454 Israel
"Meeting for the harmonisation of the Tentative Lists within the same geo-cultural area"
After discussing this case at length, the Bureau decided to defer approval of this request, recommending the State Party to reformulate the request with the agreement of the other Party and authority concerned (Jordan and Palestine) in the same geo-cultural region.
International Assistance (7)
- Préparation d'un dossier d'inscription pour le Tombeau des Askia à Gao (2000 / Mali)
- Background studies and preparation of nomination dossier for the Historic Centre of Trujillo (2000 / Peru)
- Préparation d’un dossier d'inscription du site de l’Aïr et du Ténéré en tant que site mixte (déjà classé site naturel) (2000 / Niger)
- Sub-regional expert meeting for the preparation of the World Heritage nomination file of the Batanes Archipelago and Ivatan Archaeological Landscape in the Philippines (2000 / Philippines)
- Preparation of a nomination to the World Heritage List for the Kondoa Irangi Rock Art Paintings (2000 / United Republic of Tanzania)
- Meeting for the harmonization of the Tentative Lists within the same geo-cultural area. (2000 / Israel)
- Preparation of the nomination of Cholpon-Ata Petroglyphs in the Issyk-Kul Basin (PARTIALLY IMPLEMENTED IN 2001) (2000 / Kyrgyzstan)