Robben Island (Republic of South Africa) (C 916)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-09/33.COM/7B,
2. Recalling Decision 31 COM 7B.53, adopted at its 31st session (Christchurch, 2007),
3. Notes the continued progress by the State Party on the implementation of the Integrated Conservation management plan, specifically in relation to physical conservation and preventive conservation work, ongoing improvements in interpretation and visitor management, and better cooperation with the Department of Public Works ;
4. Encourages the State Party to continue working on stabilizing and reorganizing the institutional/managerial aspects of the property, including the creation of a statutory authority under the World Heritage Convention Act with a permanent Chief Executive Officer, and to implement the Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Public Works and to make available resources for all the planned maintenance works ;
5. Requests the State Party to invite a joint World Heritage Centre/ICOMOS reactive monitoring mission to the property, in 2010/2011, to assess the effectiveness of the management plan and structure in conserving the Outstanding Universal Value of the property;
6. Also requests the State Party to submit, by 1 February 2011, a detailed progress report on management/institutional aspects of the property as well as ongoing conservation, maintenance, interpretation, and visitor management.