Macquarie Island (Australia) (N629 rev)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-08/32.COM/7B,
2. Recalling Decision 31 COM 7B.14, adopted at its 31st session (Christchurch, 2007),
3. Takes note with satisfaction of the progress made with the planning and preparation for the implementation of the plan for the eradication of invasive rabbits and rodents that adversely impact the property's values and integrity;
4. Requests the State Party to proceed swiftly with the implementation of the eradication plan and to secure and allocate sufficient financial and technical support for key pre and post eradication monitoring activities, such as vegetation and seabird monitoring on the island, which will help to demonstrate the benefits of the eradication project;
5. Recalls the 2003 recommendation of the Bureau of the UNESCO Man-and-Biosphere (MAB) Programme's International Coordinating Council to consider withdrawing Macquarie Island from the World Network of Biosphere Reserves and to focus on the World Heritage status of this property, considering that it is not a functional biosphere reserve as it lacks human residents and does not demonstrate sustainable development;
6. Also requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre by 1 February 2010, an updated report on the state of conservation of the property, including information on the progress made with the implementation of the eradication plan, the estimated size of the rabbit population on the island, and the potential impact on the island's seabirds of long-lining fishing trials in the waters around the island, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 34th session in 2010.