Abu Mena (Egypt)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Takes note of the information provided by the State Party, and expresses its concerns over the deterioration of the property caused by rising groundwater levels and other threats;
2. Commends the State Party for the efforts made in order to solve the problems related to the rising ground water in the area;
3. Reiterates, however, the urgency to adopt more long-term and sustainable measures in coordination with the relevant national institutions and in accordance with the recommendations contained in the UNESCO Mission Report of September 2002;
4. Requests the State Party, in consultation with the institutions concerned and, if necessary, requesting assistance from the World Heritage Fund, to develop an Action Plan including provision for a monitoring system with appropriate indicators and benchmarks;
5. Further requests the State Party to submit, by 1 February 2005, a report on the progress of these recommendations for examination by the Committee at its 29th session in 2005;
6. Decides to retain the property on the List of World Heritage in Danger.