Decision : 28 COM 15A.9
Ichkeul National Park (Tunisia)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Commends the State Party for the dynamic way in which it has begun the implementation of the 2003 workshop recommendations that set out the benchmarks for a possible removal of the property from the List of World Heritage in Danger, in particular monitoring, restoration of the water control structures and releases of fresh water from the dams;
2. Reiterates its request to the State Party to acknowledge that the Ichkeul National Park is considered as a “net consumer of water” and to confirm its commitment to an average annual release of 80 to 120 million cubic metres of water into the lake depending on the need as determined through the monitoring programme;
3. Invites the State Party to implement the outstanding recommendations of the 2003 workshop, in particular the creation of an autonomous and permanent management structure and the preparation of a participatory management plan;
4. Requests the State Party to submit, by 1 February 2005, a report on the progress achieved in the implementation the recommendations of the 2003 mission and on the monitoring of the recovery of the property towards the benchmarks and indicators set by that mission, for examination by the Committee at its 29th session in 2005;
5. Decides to retain the Ichkeul National Park on the List of World Heritage in Danger.