Examination of nomination of natural, mixed and cultural proprerties to the World Heritage List - Cultural Landscape of Bali Province (INDONESIA)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Documents WHC-08/32.COM/8B and WHC-08/32.COM/INF.8B1,
2. Defers the examination of the nomination of the Cultural Landscape of Bali Province, Indonesia, to the World Heritage List in order to allow the State Party to:
- a) reconsider the choice of sites to allow a nomination on the cultural landscape of Bali that reflects the extent and scope of the subak system of water management and the profound effect it has had on the cultural landscape and political, social and agricultural systems of land management over at least a millennia;
- b) consider re-nominating a site or sites that display the close link between rice terraces, water temples, villages and forest catchment areas and where the traditional subak system is still functioning in its entirety and managed by local communities;
- c) put in place a management system that aims to sustain traditional practices and deflect inappropriate development or the impacts of development;
3. Considers that any revised nomination with revised boundaries, would need to be considered by a mission to the site.