Ancient Thebes with its Necropolis (Egypt)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-07/31.COM/7B.Add.2,
2. Recalling Decision 30 COM 7B.46, adopted at its 30th session (Vilnius, 2006),
3. Takes note of the State Party's efforts to put in place a Master Plan to enhance the life of residents and the experience of tourists within the Luxor region.
4. Regrets that the State Party did not take into account the previous recommendations of the Committee to carry out studies and impact assessments in Gurnah and those of the 2006 mission regarding notably the design of the Karnak plaza;
5. Encourages the State Party to revise its Master plan 2030 to directly integrate commitment to maintaining the outstanding universal value of the property within all -projects, notably:
a) To call urgently for an international consultation for the plaza in front of the Karnak temple as well as for the Avenue of the Sphinxes and Gurnah.
b) to abandon the project of building a landing stage for tourism cruise boats on the Western Bank of the Nile close to the new bridge and to limit all such developments to the Eastern Bank;
c) to ensure that proper investigations are carried out in the West Bank before the dewatering trench delineation is finalized;
d) to provide relevant information on projects foreseen within the property;
6. Urges the State Party to prepare management plans for Karnak, Luxor and the West Bank and to set up a co-ordinated management instrument;
7. Requests that the State Party invites a joint World Heritage Centre/ICOMOS mission to the property to review the implementation of the above recommendations;
8. Also requests the State Party to provide a progress report to the World Heritage Centre by 1 February 2008 for examination by the Committee at its 32nd session in 2008.