Decision : 30 COM 8B.54
Inscription on the List of the World Heritage in Danger (Medieval Monuments in Kosovo)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Documents WHC-06/30.COM/8B and WHC-06/30.COM/INF.8B.1, and recalling Decision 30 COM 8B.53 on the extension of the Dečani Monastery to include the Patriarchate of Peć Monastery, Gračanica Monastery and the Church of the Virgin of Ljeviša, Serbia,
2. Notes, in compliance with Article 11.4 of the Convention concerning the protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage and Operational Guidelines, paragraph 179, and in conformity with Decision 29 COM 7C,
a) The need for a legal status for the protection of the property;
b) The lack of legislative protection of buffer zones;
c) The lack of implementation of the management plan and of active management;
d) The difficulties to monitor the property due to political instability, post-conflict situation (visits under the Kosovo Stabilization Force/United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo (KFOR/UNMIK) escort and lack of guards and security);
e) The unsatisfactory state of conservation and maintenance of the property.
3. Inscribes the Medieval Monuments in Kosovo, Serbia, on the List of World Heritage in Danger in order to allow international support to address the following benchmarks:
a) Full and permanent protection of the property under secure and stable political environment;
b) Agreed medium-term plan for the restoration of wall paintings (including preventive conservation regime) and conservation and rehabilitation of the properties; and
c) Implementation of the management plans, and full establishment of buffer zones and boundaries including their legal protection.
4. Requests the State Party, in conformity with Committee Decision 29 COM 7C, in cooperation with UNESCO programes, UNMIK and Provisional Institutions of Self Government in Kosovo, to take the following urgent / short-term corrective measures by the end of 2006:
a) Put in place appropriate guarding and security arrangements for the Church of the Virgin of Ljeviša;
b) Prepare a conservation status report including a condition survey for the wall paintings and the status of the conservation works and take temporary measures where there is an urgent need (for example the lead roof of the west bay of the nave of the Church of Virgin of Ljeviša, that was partly removed, etc. );
c) Prepare a risk preparedness study, in conformity with Operational Guidelines paragraph 118 and Decision 28 COM 10B.4;
5. Also requests the State Party, in cooperation with UNESCO programs, UNMIK and Provisional Institutions of Self Government in Kosovo, to take the following long-term corrective measures:
a) Ensure the adequate long-term legislative, regulatory protection and management of the property, in conformity with Operational Guidelines paragraph 97;
b) Put in place strong protective regimes for the buffer zones;
c) Adequately delineate the boundaries (e.g. extend the boundaries of the Patriarchate of Peć to include more of its riverside-valley settings);
d) Prepare detailed state of conservation reports as a basis for adapted monitoring, preventative conservation measures, and specific conservation projects to reverse decline;
e) Ensure appropriate and timely implementation of the Management Plan.