30 COM 8B.35
Nominations of Cultural Properties to the World Heritage List (Chongoni Rock Art Area)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Documents WHC-06/30.COM/8B and WHC-06/30.COM/INF.8B.1,
2. Inscribes Chongoni Rock Art Area, Malawi, on the World Heritage List on the basis of criteria (iii) and (vi):
Criterion (iii): The dense and extensive collection of rock art shelters reflects a remarkable persistence of cultural traditions over many centuries, connected to the role of rock art in women's initiations, in rain making and in funeral rites, particularly in the Chewa agricultural society.
Criterion (vi): The strong association between the rock art images and contemporary traditions of initiation and of the nyau secret society, and the extensive evidence for those traditions within the painted images over many centuries, together make the Chongoni landscape a powerful force in Chewa society and a significant place for the whole of southern Africa.
3. Recommends that the State Party:
a) Finalise the legal modalities relating specifically to this property;
b) Produce a set of guidelines with the traditional leaders and the Department of Forestry for the use of individual sites and the forest in general for religions and traditional ceremonies;
c) Amend the management plan to reflect the need to integrate forestry work with other community initiatives in the nominated area;
4. Encourages the staff at the site with training in conservation and granting them authority to oversee the implementation of the management plan and to seek political commitment from local traditional leaders.
5. Requests the State Party to report back on progress made on the above recommendations by 1 February 2007.