French Biodiversity Agency
The French Biodiversity Agency supports the World Heritage Marine Programme since 2015 by strengthening the application of the 1972 World Heritage Convention for marine protected areas of Outstanding Universal Value. The partnership supports the Programme in its work toward increasing global awareness and scientific understanding on the impacts of climate change on World Heritage-listed coral reefs, strengthening the global network of World Heritage marine managers and exploring the protection of Outstanding Universal Value in marine areas beyond national jurisdiction.
The French Biodiversity Agency is France’s central operator for terrestrial, aquatic and marine biodiversity. Ocean protection is one of its priorities. The Agency supports the implementation of public policies in the field of knowledge, conservation, management and restoration of terrestrial, aquatic and marine biodiversity. The Agency falls under the French Ministry of Environment but works in close cooperation with other French government departments and socio-economic partners. The Agency also has the mission to reach out to the public and to mobilize citizens for actions in favor of biodiversity.
© Bartłomiej Banaszak, Narodowy Instytut Dziedzictwa
- World’s flagship marine protected areas gather in milestone conference toward United Nations 2030 Agenda Tuesday, 10 September 2019
- “World Heritage Coral Reefs” Exhibit opens in Paris Tuesday, 3 October 2017
- Assessment: World Heritage coral reefs likely to disappear by 2100 unless CO2 emissions drastically reduce Friday, 23 June 2017
- Impact of climate change on marine sites examined at COP22 Tuesday, 22 November 2016
- World Heritage in the High Seas: An Idea Whose Time has Come Wednesday, 3 August 2016
- Scientists convene in Paris to explore World Heritage in High Seas Thursday, 29 October 2015
- High Seas International Conference 27-Jun-2018-28-Jun-2018
- Photo Exhibit: Coral Reefs on UNESCO's World Heritage List 02-Oct-2017-06-Dec-2017
- World Heritage Committee side event: Coral bleaching in World Heritage marine sites 04-Jul-2017
- World Heritage High Seas Expert Meeting 29-Oct-2015-30-Oct-2015