In cooperation with UNESCO field offices (LAC)
Conservation, protection and capacity building activities in the region are carried out through reinforced cooperation among the States Parties, the World Heritage Centre, the Advisory Bodies and UNESCO Offices in the field. The network of field offices plays an essential role in the implementation of specific activities.
- 32 countries of the Latin America and Caribbean Region; National Institutions managing cultural and natural heritage, managers of properties inscribed on the World Heritage List (129 properties);
- Focal Points, Regional Office staff, Category 2 Centre staff, regional experts, representatives of ICOMOS, IUCN and ICCROM.
Regional activities per sub-region
The following sub-regional activities, held in the last two years, included the participation of various experts, site managers, Regional and national authorities, Focal Points of natural and cultural properties inscribed on the World Heritage List, senior officials responsible for protecting and managing cultural and natural heritage sites in the sub-region as well as the Advisory Bodies (ICOMOS, IUCN and ICCROM), UNESCO field offices and the World Heritage Centre.
Mexico and Central American activities
- International meeting: UNESCO Conventions – An articulated vision from Ibero-America (22-25 October 2013, Mexico City, Mexico)
- International meeting of experts "El primer poblamiento de las Américas y la Convención de Patrimonio Mundial”, HEADS-WHC, (2 to 6 September 2013, Puebla, Mexico), UNESCO Office in Mexico.
- Regional workshop about “Impactos del Cambio Climático en las Regiones Montañosas de América Latina y el Caribe” (21 to 23 August 2013, San José), UNESCO Office in San José.
- The launch of the evaluation process to include “The stone spheres Diquís:” in the World Heritage List of UNESCO ( 1 March 2013) UNESCO Office in San José
- Training program for integrated Lake Ecosystem Conservation and sustainable use of Xochimilco’s "chinampa" agricultural production system (1 September 2012, Xochimilco, Mexico)
- International meeting on tourism, sustainable development, and World Heritage by the Mexican Secretary of Tourism, the National Council for Arts and Culture and the National Institute of Anthropology and History, in collaboration with the UNESCO World Heritage Centre (17 to 20 July 2012Queretaro, México)
South American activities
- “Foro Internacional Glaciares: retos de la investigación al servicio de la sociedad en el marco del cambio climático”, (1 to 4 July 2013, Huaraz , Perú) UNESCO
- Workshop of the results of “Capacidades locales para la adaptación al cambio climático y gestión de riesgo: Parque Nacional del Manu en Perú - Sitio de Patrimonio Mundial” (30 Noviembre 2012, Lima, Peru) UNESCO Office in Lima
- Conference on extreme poverty and World Heritage (1 October 2012, Quito, Ecuador) Municipality of Quito
- International Seminar: Guarani Jesuit Missions (26 to 28 September 2012, Buenos Aires, Argentina), UNESCO Office in Montevideo
- Encuentro Latinoamericano de Comunicación Popular y Buen Vivir (19 to 22 September 2012, Quito), UNESCO Office in Quito.
- International Experts’ Meeting on Tiwanaku and the Akapana Pyramid, “International Experts’ Meeting on Tiwanaku and the Akapana Pyramid” (27 to 29 August 2012, Tiwanaku). This meeting was financed by the Japanese Funds in Trust for the World Heritage. UNESCO Office in Quito
- International Seminar "Patrimonio, identidad y cultura: gestión de los sitios y lugares de memoria vinculados a la trata de esclavos y la esclavitud", (20 to 24 August 2012, Río de Janeiro). En colaboración con la Fundación Palmares.
- Conferencia: La ruta del esclavo, sitios de la memoria: la presencia de esclavos en las estancias jesuíticas: el caso de Alta Gracia, (Lima, 25 june 2012), UNESCO Office in Montevideo
- Seminar “Cultural Heritage and Sustainable Development” (27 May 2012, Santiago de Chile, Chile) UNESCO Office in Santiago de Chile
- CCCP: 2nd Caribbean Workshop on Disaster Risks Management on World Heritage (13 to 17 May, 2013, Havana, Cuba) UNESCO Office in Havana and the World Heritage Centre
- The launch of the project “Conservación de la Biodiversidad Agrícola en Reservas de la Biosfera de Cuba: Conectando los Paisajes Naturales y Manejados” (COBARB) (8 May 2013, Bella Habana Hotel, Havana, Cuba. UNESCO Office in Havana
- The lecture "The evolution of underwater archaeology in Latin America and the Caribbean in the framework of the 2001 UNESCO Convention on the Protection of the Underwater Cultural Heritage” (6 April 2013, Castillo de la Real Fuerza, Cuba) UNESCO Office in Havana
- CCBP: Caribbean Training Course in the Preparation of Nomination Dossiers. (24 to 28 March 2013, St. Mary's, Antigua & Barbuda) UNESCO Office in Havana and UNESCO Office in Kingston
- CCBP: Training Course “Management of Caribbean cultural resources in a natural environment: Sites of Memory and participation of local communities.” (11 to 15 March 2013, Bridgetown, Barbados) UNESCO Office in Havana and UNESCO Office in Kingston
- CCBP: Caribbean Capacity Building Workshop in preparation for the sites nomination dossiers to the World Heritage List. (5 to 15 June 2012, Kingston, Jamaica) UNESCO Office in Kingston with cooperation of the UNESCO Office in Havana and the Government of Japan.
- International meeting: UNESCO Conventions – An articulated vision from Ibero-America Oct 22, 2013 - Oct 25, 2013